Internal communication at its simplest level informs and engages our staff.
Good internal communication matters, because it helps us all do our jobs more effectively, which means we can deliver the best possible service to each other, and in turn residents and local communities.
It’s more than just written communications, it’s the daily interactions with other employees, team meetings, 1-2-1s and performance appraisals, and getting it right will help the Council and Renfrewshire become the place that you and residents told us you want it to be.
It is too important to be left to one team or department, it is everyone’s responsibility!
The role of the internal communications team is to support you and make communicating with colleagues and teams across the council as easy as possible.
We understand just how challenging it can be for you to create consistent, clear, and engaging comms alongside all your other competing priorities. After all, communications is not only about informing, it’s about inspiring and involving.
Our small team of three have a proven track record of turning complicated business messaging into engaging content that is easily understood and relevant to the people you want to reach.
We’re here to help connect you to our vision and values by building trust and understanding with every colleague. Our job is to know what it’s like to work here: the differences, the challenges and the successes, and we use this knowledge together with our professional experience and insights to advise senior leaders to engage with you, and to listen and learn.
- Delivering the big picture: Giving everyone who works here a clear view of how their role relates to the council’s vision and objectives.
- Recognising our common purpose: Showing how colleagues in different service areas and departments are all part of the same endeavour, working together with a common purpose.
- Providing practical solutions: Translating business strategies into meaningful content that helps and inspires you in your day to day role.
- Supporting change and transformation: Making a change in your teams or service? We can help keep your workforce updated and support the changes you are making
- Celebrating Success: Creating an environment in the workplace that practices recognition and rewards good employees and improves morale. When employees are happy, they perform better, and even attendance improves.
We do this by:
- Designing and implementing employee communication plans for key strategic projects
If you want to provide information or ask people to do something differently that supports longer term or strategic projects then a Communications Plan is essential to helping you achieve your objectives.
The earlier you involve us, the greater impact we can have. There’s always a lot going on here at the council and we can work out how best to reach the people you need to, in the right way, at the right time. Get in touch with the team at the beginning of your project rather than the end and see the impact we can have.
- Supporting managers to provide quality communication to their teams
Communications is everyone’s responsibility, and managers in particular have a vital role in keeping their teams informed and engaged. We’re here to provide advice and guidance on communication best practice, including brand guidelines and tone of voice.
- Providing opportunities, clear timelines, and deadlines for information to be included in our newsletters, social media channels, meetings, and events
We have a range of channels and publications to help tell your story or share information with colleagues from across the council and we can advise on the best channels to reach your target audience.
- measuring the impact of our communications
By measuring the impact of our communications, we can help inform future campaigns and ensure we are meeting our objectives. We have a range of analytic tools available to us that can tell us who received your information.
The best way to find out how well your messages have been received is to ask your target audience, and as well as a bi-annual all staff communications survey, we also have an annual pulse survey, which we use to inform and improve our communications moving forward.
We’d love to hear from you! If you have a story to tell or something interesting to share, we are all ears. Make a request and one of the team will be in touch.
Latest articles from The Thread
Whether you’re one of our content publishers, a colleague from another service, or a member of the public, we’re here to share our expertise and the improvements we make to the digital channels you use.